1. Examine your conscience thoroughly in the light of Church teaching. Make no excuses. Admit your sins to God and yourself. Pray for the gift of sincere repentance from all sin. Go to Confession. Avoid all grave sins. Continue going to Confession regularly. A clear conscience makes prayer more effective.
2. Go to Mass and receive Communion devoutly and humbly. Pray to God immediately after Communion, that you may reform your life, be merciful to others, avoid grave sin, and obtain the mercy of God. Love of God and neighbor makes prayer more effective.
3. Pray the Rosary and Divine Mercy Chaplet every day, slowly and devoutly. These recited prayers are very effective when said with devotion.
4. Practice self-denial in all things. Fast at least once a week. Find additional ways to deny yourself throughout each day. And accept the daily crosses that the providence of God gives to you. Self-denial and self-sacrifice make prayer more effective.
5. Be merciful and loving to others, especially those who treat you badly. Showing others mercy makes prayers for yourself more effective.
6. Pray mainly for the needs of other persons; pray for individuals as well as groups who are in need. Love and mercy toward the needy make prayers for yourself more effective.
7. Learn the teachings of the Church thoroughly, and give your whole-hearted assent to those teachings. Do not ignore or radically reinterpret any teachings that are difficult to accept. Faithfulness to Church teaching makes prayer effective.
Please take a look at this list of my books and booklets, and see if any topic interests you.