If Catholics in the United States cast their votes in each election according to the teachings of Jesus and His Church, the political landscape would be vastly different. Catholics are 20% of the U.S. population, but in some States Catholics are 25% to as high as 42% of the population. While we do not have a majority in any single State, if 20% of the U.S. population voted similarly in national elections, the Catholic voting block would be very influential. [Pew Forum]
Catholics today are divided; many are democrats and many are republicans. If we voted as a bloc, no candidate could win a presidential election without the Catholic vote. A liberal presidential candidate would need the support of liberals and Catholics. A conservative presidential candidate would need the support of conservatives and Catholics. Since neither party has a political platform and a legislative track record entirely in accord with Catholic teaching, Catholics would not vote only for one party. A swing voting bloc need not be a majority of the voting population to have great influence in an election.
If Catholics were a major swing voting bloc, every presidential candidate who hoped to be elected would need to be:
* against gay marriage
* for conscience rights for businesses and individuals
* against euthanasia
* against artificial procreation
* lenient and merciful to undocumented immigrants
* for helping the poor in many ways
* for prison reform: reduce incarcerated population, better conditions for prisoners
* for protecting the environment, while putting human needs first (per Laudato si’)
The most liberal States, such as CA, MA, NY, NJ have a higher Catholic population than the national average. So their State laws would no longer be among the most offensive to Catholic teaching. They would change their laws to conform to the above stated policies.
And once you have national laws in accord with Catholic teaching, and many States following these policies also, the U.S. would be a much different place. Abortion would be eliminated or greatly reduced. Euthanasia would be illegal. Gay marriage would not be legal. Many grave sins would be illegal, and the laws would be much more just. The poor, sick, and needy would have more help from government. And our laws would not be subservient to the sinful culture, as is the case today.
At 20% of the population, Catholics could play a major role in reforming this nation’s laws and policies, helping to form a just society. And in the nations of Europe, many of which have a majority of Catholic citizens, the same could be said. How is it that grave sins have become approved by law and culture in nations which are mostly Christian or even mostly Catholic? It is the sins and failings of the disciples of Christ that have caused many of the problems of society today.
And if we do not repent, God will strike in a manner without example.
At La Salette, the Blessed Virgin Mary said:
“2. ‘The priests, ministers of my Son, the priests, by their bad life, by their irreverences and their impiety in celebrating the holy mysteries, by love of money, love of honor and of pleasures, the priests have become cesspools of impurity. Yes, the priests are asking for vengeance, and vengeance is suspended over their heads. Woe to the priests and to persons consecrated to God, who by their infidelities and their bad life are crucifying anew my Son! The sins of persons consecrated to God cry out towards Heaven and call for vengeance, and see how vengeance is at their doors, because there is no longer found anyone to implore mercy and forgiveness for the people; there are no longer generous souls, there is no longer anyone worthy to offer the Victim without blemish to the Eternal on behalf of the world.’
3. ‘God is going to strike in a manner without example.’
4. ‘Woe to the inhabitants of the earth! God is going to exhaust His wrath, and no one will be able to take himself away from so many afflictions combined.’
5. ‘The leaders, the guides of the people of God have neglected prayer and penance, and the demon has obscured their intelligence; they have become these wandering stars that the old devil will drag along with his tail to make them perish. God will permit the old serpent to place divisions among rulers, in all societies and in all families; physical and moral pains will be suffered; God will abandon men to themselves, and will send chastisements which will follow one after another for more than thirty-five years.’
6. ‘Society is on the eve of the most terrible scourges and of the greatest events; one must expect to be ruled with an iron rod and to drink the chalice of the wrath of God.’ ” [the text of the secrets]
Please consider reading my book: The Secrets of La Salette and the End Times
Please take a look at this list of my books and booklets, and see if any topic interests you.